Friday, February 24, 2006

Musical Musings




I've been thinking about how important lyrics are for me to like a song. The verdict is in: It depends on the song.

Some songs are lyrically abstract and melodically narrow in range but they rock.

Some songs have tear-jerking lyrics coupled with great, singable melodies.

Some songs are excellent beats made up of experimental bleeps and gazorks. How great is a song that can physically affect me enough to want to dance.

Some recordings just move me even if the musicianship on them isn't particularly impressive.

Most songs I love do have lyrics that I love and each line takes me to the next one, leaving me wanting to hear more, but they aren't necessarily detailed stories and they still have to be carried by excellent music for me to want to listen to them and that means I have particular likes such as keys, modes, chords and rhythms.

I like many minor keys, especially if there are minor 9ths used. I also like Lydian, Mixolydian, Phrygian and Dorian modes.

I like good voice leadings.

I don't care for dominant 7ths unless they're altered (or we're in Mixolydian mode). We've been given the gift of substitution chords so why not exercise the privilege and save ourselves from dying of boredom? I just avoid the V7 most of the time.

Am I talking about music again? Damn.