Thursday, March 16, 2006

Shades of the 1950s All Around Me

The swing coat by Jacques Fath was all the rage in the 1950s when the pregnancy rate was at a post-war high. Do you wear one now? It goes very well over babydoll dresses (roomy '50s empire waist), the new full skirts (which I don't wear but I've never been a fan of the Dior New Look for myself--maybe I'm too short and very important: I can't dance freely in cumbersome big skirts) or the fabby Mod mini (OK, so I'm a little biased when it comes to fashion. Please, no judging...). ;-)

Image from Fashion-Era.com Check out more about '50s Fashion and Social History

The doe-eyed look is also a thing of the '50s (and into the '60s) which is being sported by many young celebs. I've always loved this look because it's so "Catwoman" even though the buzz word that brought it back is "innocence". There are a few ways to get this look but for starters, get thee liquid eyeliner and a white pencil to line the inner lid (I know, not the safest way to wear eye makeup). Mascara--but of course.

Youth Dew is back and I never liked the original but I like it better than the reformulated newbie, Youth Dew Amber Nude which is lovingly (or not) referred to by perfumistas as "the Amber Dude". You might like them if you're into spicy, heavy balsamic Orientals (a warm Fragrance Family).

The New Beatniks still model themselves after favorite icons such as James Dean and Elvis Presley. Here is Marlon Brando as Stanley Kowalski in Tennessee Williams's "Streetcar Named Desire". I love his look but can we stop calling that type of shirt a "wifebeater"? Thanks.