Saturday, April 29, 2006

For the Love of Attrape-Coeur (Guet Apens)

For a perfume that I declared to be too heavy and strong to wear every day, I'm sure going through my decant of Attrape-Coeur fast! In fact, I'm starting to fantasize about forsaking all of my other recent loves to acquire just this--the one I can't have because it's another perfume exclusive to Paris. Yes, it seems Guerlain has gone the Serge route. But there's something interesting which I've discovered and that is that if I take Parure EDT and Samsara parfum and layer them at a certain ratio on my arm, I get an accord which at least comes close to Attrape-Coeur, not enough to kill my desire to own the real thing but close enough that I find it very fascinating. I think I could spend a lot of time being fascinated just like this, so, lucky for me and my nose, I could be temporarily amused by a mere outline of my current favorite which is impossible to own.

Like I said, it's not a magic formula that replaces the real thing. Please don't come after me when a meeeellion people around the world try to copy Attrape-Coeur with my lousy non-formula. Just because I think it smells like Parure and Samsara doesn't mean it actually is just the two together; in fact, the real Attrape-Coeur is infinitely smokier, richer and sweeter than my layering experiment which, next to the real deal smells thin and sharp. Besides, anything smells good when you're as sleep-deprived as I am.

Of course I still want Jasmin 17 which right now is my top pick for my next purchase. I'm coming for you soon, my darling...don't let that Attrape-Coeur make you think I don't need you (too).

Why must there be scents we can't even have when we love them so much?