Saturday, April 22, 2006

Fragrance of the Moment: Chantecaille Frangipane

This was a surprise: my perfpals had sent me samples and generous decants of this perfume and I hadn't fully appreciated them till recently--I had never liked the opening notes because I was reminded of lilacs--one of my least favorite scents--but I tested it the other day (to compare with Un Lys, remember?) and wow, I'm so in love with the dry down which is like a dollop of fresh cream on me. Do you have perfumes like this, that smell better as time passes? These usually end up being my favorite perfumes because after all, it's the dry down that lingers the longest. The dry down is the stage when the top notes have evaporated and the heart and base notes are the most prominent. It's also the stage when the scent has melded with your skin to give the perfume a unique scent all your own. It's a quiet scent but on the sweeter side of the spectrum, not overly flowery (except in the beginning) but more vanillic with a touch of skin musk, and on me I find a very subtle but deeper, darker note like cocoa that gives it some edge and keeps it from being too soft and bland. Orange is one of its notes and although I don't find it orangey per se, I think it supports the cocoa note I smell. I never did find the frangipani (plumeria) note in it but I think the name is fitting in an abstract way. My overall impression is of a fleshy tropical white flower that meets modern technology (water hyacinth, musk) on a bed of cocoa, powdered sugar and milk. It's a soft perfume, not my usual head-turning bombshell perfume, but I'm smitten enough to want a bottle of this beauty soon. This could be my ideal floral "skin scent".

On Bergdorf Goodman's site:
Notes: vanilla, jasmine, Moroccan orange, and water hyacinth

According to Osmoz.com:
Chantecaille Frangipane (2004) Floral-Oriental

Top note : Exotic Orange, Water Hyacinth, Violet Leaves

Middle note : Jasmine, Frangipani Blossom, Ylang-Ylang

Base note : Vanilla, Musk, Vetiver