Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My Long Distance Love Affair

How crazy am I to want Serge Lutens Un Lys now that it's no longer available here in the US? It wasn't my favorite scent while it was available, but now that it's gone, exclusive to Paris once again, I'm thinking about paying more than retail for it. Ha! Maybe that's been Serge Lutens' plan all along--to play a joke on us. Well, earlier today, I wore Chantecaille Frangipane (because I had finished up the Un Lys decant after all) which always reminded me of Un Lys and vice versa, and honestly, it never really grabbed me because it's a soft floral (jasmine + vanilla) on a musky base (the musk in Frangipane reminds me of the musk in Marc Jacobs if anyone is familiar with it; it's a little BO-ish but a nice skin scent) but today, I'm appreciating the sweet, almost chocolaty, velvety smooth dry down. And I'm sure it's only because I'm wanting Un Lys! Oh, man...I might have to hunt down a bottle of Un Lys if it's even better than this, and it will be because it's Serge.

I'm also in love with Serge Lutens Gris Clair and Le Labo Jasmin 17, so I think these will be my new acquisitions for Spring 06. Speaking of Le Labo Jasmin 17, the perfumer's name is Maurice Roucel (actually, he may represent a team of perfumers but he gets the credit), and I seem to be a fan of his. I've worn quite a few of his creations: Tocade, Musc Ravageur, L'Instant and now Jasmin 17. I think his perfumes are ultrafeminine, classic but sexy--he knows how to use jasmine and vanilla so well, and they are among my favorite notes.

But why do I find Chantecaille Frangipane and Un Lys challenging, then? They're both floral-vanilla blends. Ah--maybe I'm just looking for a challenge. What's the challenge in a nutshell? To love lilacs. Don't worry, I don't expect you to understand that but if you do, you're no doubt another perfume addict!

I'll write about Un Lys again. It really is better than I've described it. Think creamy soft Madonna lily that blooms on skin like a Leonardo Da Vinci painting.

Back to rehearsal I go...