Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Soft and Powdery Scents: Is This Love?

How hard should we work at trying to like something? I think I've given powdery perfumes a fair chance and I just don't seem to like most of them. There are some that I like: for instance, Florals that I perceive as being more floral than powdery, I can tolerate. I love Eau de Cartier and that is powdery soft enough for me, even if many people say it smells sharp and green to them. By the way, we're both right. (Image: puff by Too Faced)

Powdery vanillas--love them, although I prefer them to have strong woods supporting them so they're not so powdery soft.

The ones that are primarily powder to my nose, regardless of how the powder was rendered--by aldehydes, amber, vanilla mixed with citrus or green--whatever the method, whatever the flava, I just don't think I like these on the whole.

Powdery musks--from Serge Lutens Clair de Musc to Bonne Bell Skin Musk--not into them.

Powdery baby products--not for me.

Don't get me wrong; I still think Chanel No.5 is amazing but I find that I can't wear it all the time because the powder annoys me. Kenzo Flower--even sharp powder doesn't do it for me.

Does that mean I'll quit testing powdery perfumes? No! I just keep going where I haven't gone before, the infinite universe that is my love of perfume for which I'm glad because perfume adds so much to my life. I have something to look forward to each day that I wake up with the simple desire to ponder a perfume creation as someone might gaze at a garden for inspiration, and through it I often find interesting new perspectives on life.

But call me crazy: of all the perfumes in the world, I find these among the most cloying of all. Why? I don't know, but in reality, we're not supposed to actually breathe in powder, are we? I thought for sure it was my own bias that turned me off to powdery 'fumes (the fact that they're marketed as "soft and quiet = feminine" doesn't sit well with me) but it might just be an honest physical reaction that I'm having.

Sometimes you grow into love, sometimes you don't.