Friday, May 19, 2006

Lush

Skip the woods, just give me hypersweet vanilla with fleshy, tropical white florals in the mix. This is fabulous! Why, oh, why do I have to fall in love with a discontinued perfume? Someone just sent me a sample of something delicious and I can't find a full bottle of it anywhere. I can't tell you what it is because you might bid against me on eBay if it ever comes up (page me if you really need to know). I've searched everywhere and it's as if it never existed; I can't even find the notes in the composition or the launch year and yet, here it is on my wrist: the perfect Floral Gourmand potion of dreams: sweet, feminine, warm, scrumptious, almost caramelly. Sigh. Well, at least I have similar fragrances to enjoy while I try to hunt this one down.

I have something very similar to it that's also sweet and lush: Comptoir Sud Pacifique Tiare. You may have heard of Aloha Tiare but the one I have is called Tiare, the original Comptoir Sud Pacifique creation, the first of the delectable series in a tropical motif. Most scents in the line are vanillic-sweet, fruity-sweet or aqueous-fresh (ozonic). Funny thing is, this line is supposedly looked down upon in France from where it hails for being juvenile and unsophisticated scents, only suitable for the young, but they seem to sell well among adults around the world regardless.

I do think Tiare is an ice cream-like scent, as far from being proper and refined as the East Village is from the Upper East Side, but I'm not against fun and casual scents nor rock-n-roll for that matter, plus it's another one that consistently gets raves. Sad news: This one's discontinued, too! What's the deal with all these good ones disappearing? At least there's a new, reformulated version called Aloha Tiare in production. I haven't worn Aloha Tiare long enough to know how different it is or if the ingredients have been downgraded, but if that new tin bottle instead of the beautiful aqua glass that it used to be in is any indication, I don't doubt that it just ain't the same.

Here are the notes on the company site:

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aloha Tiare/Tiare (1984)
Top: Frangipani leaf
Heart: Tiare flower, ylang
Base: Monoi, coconut, benzoin, vanilla, musk