Thursday, May 25, 2006

Spa Scents

That's what I've decided to call fresh, sporty scents that are easy to work out and sweat in. How many of these do you think there are out there? Probably tons but I can't seem to find any to call my own. I love Creed Silver Mountain Water: it's a bit musky and heavy for a Marine fragrance but I love the blackcurrant in it and to me it has an appealing freshness. I also liked Eau de Cartier for a short while until I realized that on me, the dry down was too powdery-peachy, like fuzzy peach skin. I prefer juicier, fresher (non-powdery) peach if I'm to wear it. I heard recently that Ralph Lauren Polo Sport Woman (1994) is similar to Silver Mountain Water so I decided to give it a try (somehow I missed the launch and how everybody supposedly wore it--I also never wore Tommy Girl). My mini should arrive in a few days so I'll let you know how it goes. I hope it's a new Marine love.

I'm still interested in Green except so many of them turn powdery or soapy on me. O de Lancome and Bulgari Green Tea are not for me. I remember liking Jo Malone Honeysuckle & Jasmine and the classic Chanel No.19 but they seem too flowery and/or powdery. Balmain Ivoire and the discontinued Deneuve are gorgeous Green Florals but they are a little too sophisticated and chypratic for me to consider Spa scents. I have tried Alfred Sung Spa and I don't think I liked it at all. I'm iffy about Greens as some dry down with a terribly plant sap-like smell which I don't enjoy on my skin. Acqua di Gio--this is a fabulous Marine Floral but still a bit heavy on dry down. I don't want straight citruses because they bore me unless they're blended with more exciting notes, plus some like Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien turn powdery on me. I don't want white musk such as Philosophy Amazing Grace, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue or Dior Addict 2 because I don't find white musk clean-smelling but also rather powdery in a cloying way.

I love the new airy Gourmands like Gris Clair or L'Instant de Guerlain but I don't think I want to work out wearing very sweet scents, no matter how light they are made. I'm currently undecided about the new Guerlain Tutti Kiwi (it dries down a bit woody and tea-like, which is nice but it seems like a more sedentary kind of fragrance than I want) and Marc Jacobs Grass which I think smells like vibrant fresh cut grass but if I wear it longterm, I think it's too sweet and a lot like Be Delicious, a sweet green apple blend which I bought at first sniff (loved it) and then never wore again. I may try Guerlain Herba Fresca which I've read is a bracing, easy-to-wear scent with mint--sure sounds refreshing but I prefer peppermint over spearmint which is the type of mint in it. I might as well finally try Tommy Girl. I must have seen it and walked by it many times but now's the time to try it on my skin while I'm on this weird and sudden fresh fragrance kick. I'm open to suggestions!