Sunday, June 04, 2006

Serge Lutens A la Nuit: Carnal In a Civilized World

This one is a favorite of Sand (of Ombligo! fame), my cyberangel and perfpal. She's helped hook up my music onto the web more than once, and even hooked my perfume up with b-glowing. It's good to know that you have that kind of support from people who are willing to support and share your dreams. Now, it's really not because of our friendship that I felt moved to write about Serge Lutens A la Nuit. I think I'm a new believer: this is the ultimate jasmine perfume. It's warm and soft yet its headiness and intensity don't go unnoticed. It's passionate and pervasive but it doesn't come on too strong for such an uncompromising scent. I'm reminded of Schiaparelli Shocking which nearly knocked me out with its indolic, animal musky Powerjasmine quality. A la Nuit is the refined, perfected form of the wild and insatiable carnal flower. A la Nuit isn't shocking--it's a serene type of sensuality, and though its sexuality is seething underneath, disturbing and undeniable, its powers are controlled by intelligence to make its true character more effective. It's a civilized perfume for life in a civilized world. I'd call it a rapturous bombshell perfume with elegance and substance. Once in a lifetime, we can hope to experience something so real.

Serge Lutens A la Nuit--Floral Oriental, 2000
Notes: Egyptian, Indian and Moroccan jasmine (green shoots), clove, white honey, benzoin, musk