Monday, July 17, 2006

Fumerie Turque

Fragrance of the Moment: Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque. Oh, how I love it. Hands down, this is my favorite perfume right now (right up there with Songes) and my favorite Serge Lutens to date. Someone called its scent "sweet gun powder" and sure enough, it smells a little wicked like that. I can smell the tobacco in it now. I also realized today that it smells similar to Versace White Jeans only Fumerie Turque is softer and less heady. It even vaguely reminds me of Caron Tabac Blond because it's a dry, leathery, powdery and unflowery scent like that, except Fumerie Turque is even lighter on the florals (to my nose) and much airier though it is sweeter overall. I'd say it's borderline syrupy but it really isn't at all--it's too dry to be syrupy although I will say it has a Gourmand feel. I don't know why this powdery scent works for me but it has something to do with how sweet it is.

I've been told that this perfume smells like Chanel No.5 on me, which I find interesting because No.5 is lovely but way too powdery for me, yet Fumerie Turque which is probably just as powdery doesn't register as such. Like No.5, Fumerie Turque has a refined type of powderiness, except something about it still smells oddly cold to me. How could something contradict itself so much by being heavy, airy, sweet, spicy, smoky, dry, hot and cold, reserved yet have so much presence at once? It endlessly fascinates me. (Image: Tokyoartbeat.com)