Friday, July 21, 2006

Slightly Dropped Midrange

Baklava! The person on the perfume forum who compared Fumerie Turque to the taste of Baklava was absolutely right on. I happen to love Baklava; it's one of the few desserts I appreciate even though it's not straight up vanilla, custard or pound cake. I'm weird that way, yes--I usually don't care for busy flavors like fruits, syrups and nuts with my cakes and custards (even chocolate can ruin an otherwise perfect custard or cake for me sometimes) but Baklava with its intensely sweet, syrupy, nutty, flaky yet dense quality is irresistible.

I think most of my favorite perfumes are right there in the same olfactive range which I would call slightly dropped midrange with high-pitched notes and low-pitched (and dry) base notes boosted up. I like rich sweetness in the heart notes for sure: think white florals and mellow fruits such as peach and you're in my taste. I also love vanilla, of course, and I like it sweet. All of my top faves such as Fumerie Turque, Songes and even my own Pink Manhattan PURRFUME are in that range, a revelation I find fascinating (because I like to overanalyze my own taste as you may have noticed).

Here's another thought: maybe my taste in music is very closely related to my olfactive taste. I can honestly say that I like timbres that are both rich and bright, a sound that "cuts", and music that feels like I'm being carried on an undulating, powerful body of water. It also has to have softness, warmth and underlying depth for me to really love it, and a sultry heart of beautiful chord changes would win me over forever. That depth I crave could come from many sources such as the voice or the chordal instrument's timbre; the guitar (which I can't play) is my favorite followed by piano (which I pretend to play) or the chord changes themselves (good ones make me swoon)--these are probably the most important aspects of what I tend to love in music. The rhythms are important to me, too, and particularly the upbeat breathes life and moves me (intellectually and physically as I feel syncopation and polyrhythm in my body's center), therefore I love it.

Back to Baklava: Why do I like it so much? I do like caramel and there's a caramelly, honeylike syrupiness in a typical Baklava, so maybe this is what lures me. How would I descrbe the taste of caramel? It's sticky sweet, rich, warm, sultry and creamy. One of my favorite candies happens to be Werther's if anyone's familiar with that. Is it my imagination or would I describe white florals in a similar way? You bet I would, except I'd switch the word "sticky" with "fleshy". What is it about Fumerie Turque that fits into this pitch range? Ah...the honey. See? I can be consistent. It's funny how the richness of the low-pitched bottom is tactile to me in so many forms. It's also funny how I seek what only seems tactile in nonphysical form.