Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Paco Rabanne Eau de Metal (and thanks to my friends)

Thank you all so much for your support in the past few weeks regarding my gig at CB's. The Show last night was a success and I feel so fortunate to have such wonderful friends in cyberspace. I have received many personal notes from musicians and perfume friends during the course of preparation for the event. You have encouraged me with your overflowing abundance of positive energy and love. May the love you spread come back to bless your life a thousandfold!

I also wanted to share with you the news that the Fumerie Turque spell had broken a couple of days before the gig and I ended up wearing Pink Manhattan with a light spritz of Spring Flower not quite layered but wafting from one or two unexpected points. Today, I'm wearing a rare and discontinued love of mine called Eau de Metal by Paco Rabanne, a bright and clean yet soft and harmonious blend which Jan Moran classifies as Aldehydic Floral (she once kindly answered my inquiry on her website and referred to Metal as a youthful rose-based blend--I do feel it's rather reminiscent of Ralph Lauren Romance but simultaneously softer with more clarity and sparkle, all with a retro vibe). I couldn't find any information on Eau de Metal online (although I had heard it was created a few years after the creation of Metal), but I'm very happy to have found these notes today on Google:

According to Scentrepoint.com--

Paco Rabanne Metal For Women

Metal by Paco Rabanne was launched in 1979. It is a jubilant floral perfume with notes of bergamot, ylang ylang, peach, white iris and rosewood.


Well, what a surprise that I've had an iris holy grail all this time!

I also found a second set of notes:
Paco Rabanne Metal--1980
Notes: lavender, jasmine, rose, carnation, lily of the valley, cedar, Tonka, musk, sandal

(Edited to add) On this site where you could read the history of Paco Rabanne, it's stated that Eau de Metal, the version I prefer, was created much later, in 1986. To my surprise, both Metal and Eau de Metal are listed here as men's fragrances.

I don't know if this perfume was ever brought back and reformulated but I'm seeing bottles in silver instead of the white ones with white caps which I own. Metal perfume was created by Robert Gonnon who also created Cacharel Anais Anais (1978, with Roger Pellegrino, Paul Leget, and Raymond Chaillan), Lancome O de Lancome (1969) and Sikkim (1971).

This bottle design also happens to be my all-time favorite perfume bottle: so mod!

Have a lovely weekend.

(Images: Beautiful bottle design by Pierre Dinand inspired by a Rolls Royce radiator grille (and also compared to the shape of New York City's UN Building) and originally designed for Calandre perfume (1969). Pictured are Metal by Paco Rabanne (I couldn't find Eau de Metal pics online) from www.escentual.co.uk and www.hagen-58.de)