Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Celebrate Fragrance Week!

It's Fragrance Week. Here's the word from the Fragrance Foundation's site:
"THE FRAGRANCE FOUNDATION PRESENTS:
FRAGRANCE WEEK, OCTOBER 16th– 20th, 2006

New York, NY, October 2006 – The Fragrance Foundation is pleased to announce a “scentsational” schedule of events for its annual Fragrance Week to be held October 16th - 20th in New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles."

What goes on during the holy week in which we celebrate the ultimate earthly indulgence, perfume? Firstly, Attention, Perfumistas: Marlen Harrison (Ma-chan!) of Basenotes and PerfumeCritic.com will be speaking at the fragrance event coming up this weekend in NYC on Sat. 10/21 at Lily's Restaurant at The Roger Smith Hotel (501 Lexington Ave. bet. 47 & 48 Sts) from 2-3pm.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

For those of you who don't know, he's one of the hottest perfume writers on the scene right now. He's recently interviewed Chandler Burr (perfume critic for The New York Times), and as if being cool and brilliant with a great nose aren't enough, he happens to be a total sweetheart of a person. Please don't miss your opportunity to meet Marlen and to hear him speak live--it'll be a treat, I promise! Afterwards, he and I will be meeting up at my gig at Siberia, so I hope you'll definitely join us! I'll keep you updated here and you can also visit Marlen's blog www.perfumecritic.com for details and updates.

***Speaking of perfume, come early to my gig this Saturday and you'll get a free perfume gift. The first 10 people will receive a sample of my newest blend, "The "unreleased" Mix". More details are coming soon.***

I am seriously celebrating this week because I've found my holy grail perfume (aside from my own creations--haha). Please let me reintroduce you to Clarins Par Amour Toujours, the object of worship and my innermost desire, the composition of my wildest dreams. This is a light and fresh everyday citrusy rose floral. The notes are Rosebud, Pink Peppercorns, Blackcurrant, Pink Grapefruit, and Raspberry. It's often passed off by others as being a juvenile, unserious perfume (which I can understand--it's the "daughter" version of the more "grown-up" Clarins Par Amour, and note the insipid pink heart-shaped spray. It's also reasonably priced for a prestige perfume), but when I wear this uncomplicated and gorgeous scent, I swear I'm complimented on how great I smell on an average of twice a day. I think it's a good sign that this formula works for me.

I've discovered a raspberry musk ending to this perfume and it's the kind of musk I like: subtly suggestive and yet it stays close to the skin in a mild, natural way. There may be a Par Amour Toujours-Sali Oguri wedding celebration in the making (and this will be a same-sex marriage, thank you very much), so please stay tuned to Pink Manhattan blog. (Image: Clarins Par Amour and Par Amour Toujours from www.chezsarra.com)

Now, that doesn't mean I won't be wearing other perfumes in my life. This fall, I'm also rocking Burberry Brit Red (a pre-Britney Spears Fantasy hypersweet tart-fruity-patchouli Gourmand), Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle (when I'm feeling daring enough for tuberose, a heavy white floral--I've been told recently (and heartbreakingly enough, by a young child) that tuberose doesn't smell so good on me--so sad because I love tuberose! Bless them for being honest) and Montale Aoud Rose Petals (a gorgeous but heavy woody-with-fresh rose blend which someone said "smells like Right Guard deodorant from the '70s" (!?)). Oh, but I love, love, love them all, from drugstore Charlie to the discontinued Guerlain treasures...perfume, like music, can often be like a saving grace from the mundane...thank goodness for simple pleasures to make life a little more beautiful, inspiring and fabulous everyday.

Happy Fragrance Week! (Images: 1979 Revlon Intimate ad from facultystaff.vwc.edu, Burberry Brit Red from powderpuff.net)