Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Smell of the Rich and Color-Coding Pt. II

Fragrance of the Moment: Estee Lauder White Linen. It's grown on me like the familiar and comforting scent of mother's makeup removal creams and lotions. It's not my favorite scent but still quite good in parfum and I'm not surprised it's being brought back to the limelight again.

I'm getting a thoroughly '20s era vibe from the recent perfume reports and I don't know if I'm onto something or not, and I don't know if I want to be or not. All the Chandler Burr color-coding stuff, the racially divided scents, and then all these plugs for perfumes from the '20s such as Toujours Moi and Chanel No.5 which might be regaining popularity at the height of the classics trend...are we being brought back to the time in history when society was racially divided through people's assumption that the rich were rich because they were somehow different, or better, than those who have not? Are we being preached by F. Scott Fitzgerald's ghost? What's with the Times' article, The Story of Eau by Daphne Merkin, in which the writer mentions people wanting to wear perfumes that smell like we're "better" than we are? That is SO Great Gatsby, it's not even funny. I am really not sure what to make of all this. I haven't even gotten to the perverted fascination with violence and S&M in mainstream media and now, in fragrance with this article which plays on Story of O. Now what--we're supposed to feel unworthy of and intimidated by our 'fumes?? If you have thoughts to share, please do--I'm open to a healthy dose of perspective and sanity.