Saturday, April 21, 2007

Caron Fleurs de Rocaille

Fleurs de Rocaille is among my favorite Caron perfumes and it is a divine floral bouquet. Sometimes it seems to turn overwhelmingly musty; at other times, the softness of this blend is so ineffably delicate and sublimely beautiful, there really are no words. The concept behind this scent also intrigues me: I picture a rock garden laden with wildflowers and spring bloom. There is no other floral like it in the world, and I hope it's never ever discontinued or forgotten. I smell something fruity about the composition on the whole (an imaginary fruit but of a muted, soft kind--it reminds me of pikake, with a soft, banana-like texture), and there's a sophisticated mystery that I find in all of the classic Caron perfumes. Fleurs de Rocaille had a starring moment in the Al Pacino movie, Scent of a Woman. There's a newer version called Fleur (no "s") de Rocaille but that is a totally different scent.

Caron classifies Fleurs de Rocaille as an Aldehydic Floral.

Jan Moran's notes:
Scent type: Floral
Top notes: Lily of the valley, clover
Heart notes: Rose, violet, lilac, jasmine, iris
Base notes: Sandalwood, musk, civet

(Image: www.profumonline.com)