Monday, April 23, 2007

Creed Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie was a bestseller in downtown NYC a few years ago. I remember because it was sold out where I was going to buy it. This is my favorite serious, woodsy 'perfume' in every sense of the word. Old-fashioned? It was created in 1862 according to Creed's website. Rich-smelling? You bet--so gloriously rich, even as I love this scent, it's overwhelmingly strong for every day, but I love it because it has simple, refined notes, quality ingredients and down-to-earth appeal. It's delicious on dry down and a perfectly balanced scent: deep but streamlined, passionate, finely powdered (but not too old-fashioned aldehydic or like generic white musk) and offbeat but not too weird. It's a bit of a "hot" smell, maybe like a fireplace--heavy but on me, it wears softly. In a way, it reminds me of many other perfumes in this somewhat heavy olfactive family, and yet I have a special place in my heart for the beautiful and regal Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie.

To me, it's a kind of musk scent, like the permeating scent of a scorned woman, only not as spicy as one might expect. It simmers with deep emotion, yet it keeps its cool, knowing elegance and London-born stiff upper lip that is Creed. I find it akin to Chanel Bois des Iles; I find it's also similar to Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque and Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur. It apologizes to no one for being voluptuous so a little goes a long way--one spritz will do. It's a warm, haunting, sophisticated scent I can find comforting when everything else seems flighty and fake in comparison. It's a classic.

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie Perfume by Creed (1862)
Fragrancex.com says:
Oriental notes with mixture of Italian jasmin, sandalwood and vanilla

(Image: Amazon.com)