Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Sephora Visit

I love this store because 1. the SAs are usually pleasant and leave me alone when I want to be left alone to sniff to my heart's desire, 2. the stores accept returns and 3. because they're open late. I must have smelled about 30 perfumes tonight but tried on just three: Calvin Klein IN2U, Calvin Klein Euphoria Blossom and Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms which was highly recommended to me by a cute, young SA (sales assistant) who described the scent as "very soft". He also recommended Roberto Cavalli Serpentine and Betsey Johnson but I didn't try them on--maybe next time. To my delight, he made samples of a couple of scents I picked out, so I came home with these adorable little sample sprays. Yippee! Here are my thoughts on my favorite new discoveries:

Calvin Klein IN2U: Oh, wow, a CK I could call signature-worthy! I love this scent even though I didn't expect much when I tested it. This is a fragrance that's more nighttime than daytime although I'd be tempted to wear it all the time: a bit angular and sophisticated but still very easy to wear and I love the cool, smooth, milky white bottle. It's a bit sharp in the opening with a nondescript fruitiness (I'm getting sparkling pink grapefruit with other notes) and a strong cedar note, but then it mellows into a mysterious, dry vanilla dry down which I think is the best part. It reminds me of Kenzo KenzoAmour (especially at the end) and CK Euphoria Blossom just a tiny bit, but it's a unique scent--a little hard for me to describe but it's distinctive and has really made an impression on me. I haven't come across a CK ad campaign that I like but this is my favorite CK to date, it's currenty one of my favorite fragrances of all time. It's fresh, warm and sexy, indeed.

Calvin Klein IN2U (Floral Oriental)--Notes on Sephora.com: Redcurrant Leaves, Sicilian Bergamot, Pink Grapefruit Fizz, Sugar Orchid, White Cactus, Red Cedar, Neon Amber, Vanilla Souffle

Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms: This is one I loved at first sniff when it launched but passed up because I thought it was too musky for me. Tonight, I smell much more fresh fruitiness than any linen-like musk. It's a light, pleasant white floral blend, slightly reminiscent of Antonia's Flowers Floret or Annick Goutal Petite Cherie but more modern, sheerer, with maybe an apple or strawberry note somewhere (it vaguely reminds me of Miss Dior Cherie). It's not a perfumey scent but somewhat simple like body spray, which doesn't make it an exciting scent but that's the friendly, modest appeal it has. I think it's a great daytime choice, light enough to spray a couple of times and not offend in an elevator. I can see it boring me after awhile, too, because it's so soft and unassuming, but it's really fresh and pretty and came with major raves so who can resist that?

Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms (Floral)--Notes on Sephora.com: Honeysuckle, Passion Fruit, Jasmine, Ottoman Rose, Amyris Wood, Musk

If you're making a trip to Sephora, I also recommend sniffing out: Matsushima Masaki Mat Cherry, Arrogance Mix Lime Sugar, Vera Wang Princess and Kenzo KenzoAmour.