Sunday, May 13, 2007

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue: A Perfume Lover's Perfume

Some of my most cherished perfumes are from the legendary perfume house of Guerlain. L'Heure Bleue (1912) is probably my very favorite (next to Metallica, perhaps). I couldn't handle my mother's once-signature, Mitsouko (which is also a great perfume in its own right), but I love L'Heure Bleue, which is somewhat similar and by the same nose (Jacques Guerlain). The bergamot opening brings Shalimar to mind but in Shalimar, the citrus is brighter. L'Heure Bleue is to me a strange, perfumy, very old-fashioned classic with a rosy heart, cool anise-violet touches, sugar & spice and everything nice, especially its warm, sweet, signature ambery vanillic base. It's hard-to-wear and not something I'd recommend to anyone but a goddess on earth or the most discerning perfume connoisseur. L'Heure Bleue is at once elegant, ethereal, young-at-heart and passionate--but it carries some depth and wisdom with it: it's a complex and original work of art, a perfume lover's perfume.

Take the quiz at www.guerlain.com and discover your Guerlain fragrance. These are the recommendations I got: Insolence, L'Instant, Shalimar, Samsara, Nahema and L'Heure Bleue, scents that "Seduce".