Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Creed Spring Flower


I'm not much of a nature gal being a concrete jungle dweller, but I must admit to being all matchy-matchy with my perfume and the season for once. It wasn't planned that way, but when the weather turns warmer, I crave sweetness. Creed Spring Flower is aptly named to me, not because it smells like nature (it doesn't really--it's too modern to be truly seasonal) but because the level of sweetness is just right for this time of year (at least that's how I feel this year). I wrote about how much I enjoy layering it with other Creed fragrances before, as I was taught to do at the Creed counter, but I love Spring Flower best on its own, and believe it stands on its own as one upscale fruity floral.

Of all the perfumes I've known, I've loved and worn Creed Spring Flower the longest (since around 2001). Spring Flower is simply gorgeous: a bright, fresh, luxurious feminine perfume that makes me feel like the woman in a Chagall painting, reclining on a heavenly cloud of pink petals (shown is not the painting I had in mind but it's part of the Song of Songs series. You can see thumbnails of them here). It's a lush, harmonious blend, not a single note jumps out and it gets raves when worn. It goes from a casual day to a formal affair being a sophisticated pretty-in-pink. I choose Spring Flower whenever I want to feel elegant, confident, feminine and upbeat. It may seem too modern for some people, being a sweet, fruity scent built on a white musk base; yet for others, it might seem too full-bodied, flowery and slightly old-fashioned. It may be a meeting point between two worlds, with an exhilirating and cool character topped off with bright, citrusy (bergamot?) accents.

According to Basenotes, it was created in the mid-eighties for Audrey Hepburn and launched to the public in 1996, three years after her death. I can see why it was designed for Audrey Hepburn; it leans towards being green, and it's fresh, a little sharp, sort of like Ivoire de Balmain (a beautiful perfume that I'll also write about sometime) which my good friend in the fragrance industry named Marian Bendeth had shared with me was a favorite of hers before Givenchy L'Interdit was created for her. If she had worn other Givenchy perfumes, maybe she also liked Eau de Givenchy, which to me resembles Spring Flower (and another lovely, fresh green floral called Floris Seringa). I'm of course only guessing here, but all this is to say Spring Flower has spunk as well as whimsical charm, as the refined gamine actress' effervescence came through the screen in such a natural, seemingly effortless way.

The notes on Parfumsraffy:
Creed Spring Flower (1996)
Notes: Peach, Melon, Apple, Jasmine, Rose, Musk and Ambergris.

Some sources list cedar as a note.

Visit my other Spring Flower post: Pretty womanly Pink: Creed Spring Flower

(Image: Marc Chagall, Song of Songs 2:7 Oil on paper, Musée National Message Biblique Marc Chagall, Nice. Creed Spring Flower 2.5 fl. oz., www.ciao.co.uk)