Monday, June 18, 2007

L'Artisan Parfumeur D'Humeur A Rien

L'Artisan Parfumeur D'Humeur A Rien (Spiritual Mood--rien means "empty", so the name is a play on the emptying of the mind or "no-thing") is one of 5 fragrances in the lovely Sautes D'Humeur (Moodswings) coffret. I'm absolutely in love with this set and particularly with this fragrance, even though I think it's a weird one. First of all, it doesn't smell pretty or nice but rather like a place I know, like an old Japanese house in the countryside. It has a certain mustiness that goes with the smell of wood, burning incense on the Buddhist altar and perhaps there's some katorisenkou (mosquito repellant incense) in the air. I'm sure I'm anticipating one hot summer with this scent, for I'm now in the mood to wear a yukata and walk the festival streets eating corn-on-the-cob, and maybe I'll stop and try to win a goldfish by scooping it out of the water with a delicate paper sieve. Mind you, my vision of this scent isn't as exotic as it sounds--I'm thinking about my grandparents' summer house in the country where once the sun sets, there are no lights to be found. The old Japanese graduation song (set to Auld Lang Zyne) about doing your homework by the light of the fireflies was no joke!

PS: Congratulations to all you graduates out there!