Monday, June 04, 2007

Molinard Habanita

I think I've finally lived enough to appreciate Molinard Habanita. I'd always thought it was too baby powdery (and a bit retro-mossy, complex, oily-smelling) but I'm finally getting not only the spicy tobacco notes but the scrumptious vanilla and a sexy touch of raspberry--this is one delicious, exciting scent. The sweetness makes this an unusually pleasant, sensual leather fragrance. I'm a huge fan--this is my current holy grail leather and I will get it in parfum one day. The dry down is a bit naughty-musky due to a rosy heart combined with dry, smoky leather; the scent on my skin is suggestive, warm and smoky like incense, and a bit heavy and intimidating. I'll bet the jasmine will be too indolic for some. Habanita comes in a gorgeous jet black bottle in a classic Lalique carved nudes design, ranging from a mini EDT to the huge new 3.3 fl oz. parfum. I'd settle for EDT or a smaller parfum size if I could find it, since a little goes a long way with such a potent blend. It's still a perfumey perfume and a twisted one at that, but it's the best-smelling motor oil I've ever come across.

Jan Moran's notes:
Molinard Habanita (1921 Oriental - Ambery)
Top Notes: Bergamot, peach, orange blossom, raspberry
Heart Notes: Rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, orris, heliotrope, lilac
Base Notes: Amber, oakmoss, leather, vanilla, musk, cedarwood, benzoin

(Image: Miniatures de Parfum, www.didier.huard.free.fr)