Saturday, June 30, 2007

Sensual Fruits

I was walking around Manhattan the other day, heading home after another voice-over session, and caught a pair of lovely women (maybe from out-of-town) wafting in a sillage of pretty, peachy florals. I thought it was a breath of fresh air in the heat of summer. It reminded me of my Pink Manhattan and how much I adore fruity scents during the warm seasons, particularly if they're fresh and perfectly ripe, and slightly more fruit-dominated than they are floral or woodsy. Though each year is different for me, this year, my summer wardrobe consists of these luscious fruits, whether soothingly sparkling cool or defiantly sweet, and hopefully, they are like fresh air to those around me.

Parfums de Nicolai Balkis: I fell in love with Balkis during my last sampling round, and even if I get more rose than I want, it gives me all the strawberries I need this summer, with equal parts succulent sweetness and modest refinement. The level of sweetness is just right for me, as it's very close to how sweet my Pink Manhattan is, although I think my PM is slightly more vanillic than fruit-focused. Balkis is a straightforward strawberry rose vanilla, delicious and vibrant, not anything heavy and intricate like Sacrebleu (which is another love of mine with a berry note but for a darker, more formal mood).

Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms: This is a charmer. When I want the lightest spritz of a peachy floral, Incanto Charms is it: it's very pretty and light, even fresher than Petite Cherie but just as soft, not at all too sporty or like aftershave. Even the "clean" white musk in it doesn't turn me off for it stays well-hidden. I'm so glad I picked this, even if I can't stand the bottle (the blue bottle's OK--it's the hot pink plastic ribbon cap I like to leave off). I'll bet this is what those women were wearing, too. It's the kind of "clean" scent I like--not extreme laundry, just overall lightness and some vaguely recognizable, lively, perhaps pleasant more so than artsy and interesting, things to smell scattered around the atmosphere. It's great for the office and casual, go-shopping-in-the-city days.

Chanel Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne: Lemons can be gorgeous and totally bombshell. This cologne is actually a bit floral to me, like a very sheer Le Labo Jasmin 17 or Marc Jacobs Blush crossed with 4711 (loads of lemons). It's turning into my staple scent to compete with La Chasse aux Papillons. Crisp, clean and non-musky, I couldn't pick a more appropriate scent for the office. I may need an actual bottle someday, but for now, the decants and I are doing marvelously well.

I'm happy I'm going to be testing Laurence Dumont Tarte aux Myrtilles soon! Thank goodness for a sweet perfpal who pointed me in the right direction. I only briefly sniffed it once and thought I liked it, but I can't remember whether it was more fruity or vanillic sweet. A blueberry tart scent with violets ought to be interesting. For summer nights, my fruits are more serious and more sultry: the deep, smouldering dark chocolate blackberry, Unreleased Mix a.k.a Persephone and the daring powdery-leather-tobacco-rose-raspberry classic, Molinard Habanita.