Friday, June 01, 2007

Sweet Sensations

I'm in a Gourmand phase as beach season kicks off. I can't believe it's June already! Here are some of my favorite sweet--I mean delectably hypersweet--choices for a fun, beachy, street fair-strolling, carnival-going, corn-on-the-cob and zeppole-eating kind of mood.

Hanae Mori (Butterfly): The official name of this perfume is Hanae Mori but the lovely butterfly symbol has become part of its name among perfumistas. It's one of Sephora's bestsellers with a somewhat cult status and seems to only gain in popularity. I can see why: it's a very pretty Gourmand blend. At first spritz, the sweet, soft blend of strawberry and musky pralines reminds me of Chanel Allure, Creed Love In White and Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane because somewhere, I detect a fruity (peachy) rose note, but the floralcy fades, giving reign to the dainty, caramelly cloud of pink dessert, one with a cherry blossom garnish in place of a marachino cherry.

Kenzo Amour: I find all of the Kenzo Flower series sharp and powdery, registering in my mind as spicy scents, but Amour is sweet enough to tolerate. My adorable mini (there are minis in all 3 colors--mine is white & sleek, like a nessie) should last me awhile. The dry down phase is a softer smell than its jagged beginning, a bit muted and smooth like a skin cream scent, similar to how Guerlain Metallica dries down with a subtle green, or violetty (peachy but unsweet), Aldehydic Floral vibe. It's a fab new skin scent that can manage being both classy and hip. The overall effect feels dry, woodsy-musky, creamy, spicy-powdery, and as light and airy as kasutera (gâteau de Castille), a classical Japanese cake which had originally come from Spain (Castille).

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Tiare: Created in 1984, Tiare was the first Comptoir Sud Pacifique fragrance and came in a blue glass atomizer bottle (pictured are the newer tin bottles). I know I keep raving about the original CSP vanillas but if you've ever compared the original juices with the new, then you know what I mean when I say that the best vanillas were all used in the discontinued ones before the reformulations. Since it's hard-to-find now, you might have to settle for Aloha Tiare, which is also good if not the ultimate. Tiare is a floral blend of Tahitian gardenia, scrumptious vanilla and a touch of coconut. As a reviewer on Basenotes noted, it might be hard for a man to pull off because it's very flowery and sweet. It's beachy and makes me think of vacations in Aruba where the clear azure water seamlessly meets the sky.

I'm also thinking about replenishing my supply of Christian Dior Hypnotic Poison and maybe getting L by Lolita Lempicka, Anna Sui, Givenchy Hot Couture. Aquolina Pink Sugar is still a good one if you're into that Thierry Mugler Angel patchouli theme. If you have more sweet recs, please share them! May your upcoming summer '07 bring carefree moments filled with laughter and love.



(Images: from Basenotes.net, LVMH.com, Sephora.com, couleurparfum.com)