Friday, September 21, 2007

Panthère de Cartier

Panthère is a Floral Oriental (ambery) perfume, and it has been a longstanding favorite of mine for a few years. It is slightly on the old-fashioned floral side, but it's balanced well with other elements. Frilly it's not, but it's warm, bodacious and boldly confident. I don't wear it regularly but I save the parfum for special occasions. It's sweet and dry, woodsy and ambery with hints of elegant fruits and a white floral heart. I've always been complimented on how gorgeous I smell every time I've worn it, so it works with my chemistry. I don't know if the parfum is still in production, and it would be a shame if it has been discontinued. If warm, classy, sophisticated ambery perfumes such as Boucheron, Jil Sander No.4, Frapin 1270 or Chanel Coco appeal to you, you might like this, too. I don't know anyone else who wears it, and it's nice to be asked what it is so I could say "Panthère"--a seductive name for a seductive fragrance.

Jan Moran's notes:
Cartier Panthère (1988, Floral - Ambery)
Top Notes: Ginger, pepper, black currant bud, peach, coriander, plum
Heart Notes: Jasmine, narcissus, rose, tuberose, gardenia, heliotrope, carnation, ylang-ylang
Base Notes: Musk, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, oakmoss, cedarwood, vanilla, tonka bean

Jan Moran says, "Panthère eau de toilette is a lighter, fresher version of the perfume, with additional top notes of lemon, mandarin, and grapefruit, while lily of the valley lightens the heart note."

(Image: Vintage refillable Panthère de Cartier eau de toilette spray, au.shopping.com)