Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dolce & Gabbana The One

What can I say about Dolce & Gabbana The One except I would crown it "mall scent of the decade"? I'm not kidding--I think it's a sexier, more distinctive fragrance than many top sellers such as Juicy Couture and Light Blue. Then again, you'd have to be into full-on florals with a voluptuous level of richness and a good deal of peach. This is the stuff I wish I had discovered before the launch of Pink Manhattan or I might not have bothered making a peach-vanilla-floral scent. It's *almost* that good ;-). The only difference between this and my concoction of dreams is that The One smells to me like it has a fair amount of rose in it (but maybe it's lily I smell), making it just slightly more flowery and for lack of a better word, perfumey to my nose. It also has a plum note which to me makes it smell slightly retro but in a good way--a dressy, glam way.

The One is a fabulous Fruity Floral with a white floral (jasmine) heart, some sweet Gourmand-Oriental elements (mainly vanilla), and a creamy richness without a lot of overwhelming musk. If I could take the most scrumptious parts of Isabey Gardenia and combine some Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms and Lacoste Inspiration to it, I might come close. If Sicily was too heavy for you, The One is about as heavy. The peach note is a bit powdery, not really juicy and fresh but a bit like the peach I find in Etat Libre d'Orange Encens et Bubblegum. There's some fresh fruits in there, too, and oranginess making it sort of an easier-to-wear Chanel Allure, though another one that comes to mind is Adrienne Vittadini. Peaches-and-cream with a touch of mandarin orange and a traditional floral heart is how I'd describe it overall, and I think I may want a bottle before the year's out. Although my heart still belongs to Carnal Flower, The One might allow me to forget Isabey Gardenia for awhile.

Dolce & Gabbana The One (2006)

Top notes: mandarin, peach, bergamot, lychee
Heart notes: jasmine, muguet, madonna lily
Base notes: vanilla, amber, musk, vetiver, plum