Monday, November 12, 2007

Fantasy Britney Spears

Fantasy Britney Spears followed the successful launch of Elizabeth Arden's first fragrance for Britney Spears, Curious, a floral musk built on a magnolia motif. Fantasy was marketed as a higher priced, more sophisticated fragrance than the first. I would describe Fantasy as a fruity, patchouli-based Gourmand Oriental. At first, I found it a bit too patchouli-heavy, and I didn't think I would grow to like it, but nowadays, I find it very easy to wear. It's a bit spicy but on the whole, it's a soft, sweet, creamy and warm fragrance with a vanillic character more so than a woody one. I thought Curious was nice but a bit too musky, simple and transparent for me, and Fantasy suits me better somehow. Truth be told, I really like this scent and wear it often.

If you found Aquolina Pink Sugar or Thierry Mugler Angel too strong, Fantasy might be a gentler alternative within the same sweet, dessert-scented genre. It's actually a well-balanced, complex composition as well as full-bodied and rich. Like a good dessert, it's fluffy but satisfying. The effect on skin isn't overly perfumey, or synthetic and fussy with unnecessary notes--it's pleasant and not too avant garde or shocking. It does what a modern perfume should do: to smell good on, and add an aura of subtle mystery. It's not a light and fresh scent, and if you prefer Florals, I'd pass on it. If you like a bit of sweetness, oomph and lighthearted fun in an evening scent, I think this is perfect. If ever a pop icon had a scent designed for her, this one is it--the only gripe I have is that aside from plastic being unsightly compared to glass, I'm not sure if the perfume will keep well in the heat of plastic...unless this bottle is plastic-coated glass. Is that possible?

Notes on Basenotes:
Top Notes: Fantasy by Britney Spears (2005)
Heart Notes: Red Lychee, Golden Quince, Exotic Kiwi
Base Notes: Cupcakes, White Chocolate Orchid, Jasmine Petals
Creamy Musk, Orris Root, Sensual Woods