Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Penhaligon's Artemisia

This is a delightful new find. For anyone who's looking for a particularly soft and smooth fragrance, Penhaligon's Artemisia is a refined and subtle scent choice. Artemisia is one of the fragrances I got in my 10 piece Scent Library collection of fragrance samples. I find it familiar and classic but also unique, although it took me a few tries before I was able to understand and appreciate its delicate character. When I first tried Artemisia, I got a skin cream-like, mossy, creamy-powdery scent similar to Donna Karan Cashmere Mist and Estee Lauder White Linen, with a barely recognizable suggestion of peary-appley notes such as found in Yosh U4REAAH! perfume oil. Don't let the fruit notes fool you; this is much more like a powdery Aldehydic Floral scent than a Fruity one, and it has some contemporary "70s retro" feel. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't tolerate oakmoss well, but if you can imagine and find the appeal in an unsweet, foresty "coconut lotion" scent, Artemisia weaves two worlds--the woodsy and the beachy--abstractly--together with the charm of a warm and fuzzy purl knit.

Notes from Penhaligon's site:

Penhaligon's Artemisia (2002 Semi-Oriental)
Head Notes: Nectarine and Green Foliage
Heart Notes: Green Apple, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine Tea, Violet and Vanilla
Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber and Vanilla

Description from lamurefavorite.com:
An intense marriage of jasmine tea and vanilla for this feminine fragrance of the great English perfume maker.

(Image: www.penhaligons.co.uk)