Friday, December 28, 2007

Caron Royal Bain de Caron

Royal Bain de Caron was formerly known as Royal Bain de Champagne until a problem arose concerning the use of the name of the famous alcoholic beverage. It has a mysterious background from being known as a fragrance used in voodoo rituals in some parts of the world (although I haven't been able to find out exactly in what context nor any other detail) to sources having different years for when it was created. Some say it was created in 1923, not 1941, which has me wondering if Michel Morsetti could have modeled it after an earlier Ernest Daltroff creation.

Royal Bain de Caron is probably the most affordable Caron fragrance, often seen in a huge 8 fl. oz. bottle sold either as a Men's or Women's eau de toilette. I don't know why it's sold so inexpensively because I think it smells almost identical to N'Aimez que Moi, one of Caron's exclusive urn scents. I'm testing it now, side by side with my N'Aimez que Moi parfum, and what I get is the same type of sweet, soft, densely powdery scent with a woody-vanillic base with lots of lilac and candied violets. I get a very light hint of Chypre from both, but what I don't get in Royal Bain de Caron is the same amount of rose; instead, the violets are more prominent, combined with aldehydes to create sparkling top notes. N'Aimez que Moi is also much stronger due to its parfum concentration, but all in all, if someone wore Royal Bain de Caron around me, I'd think she was wearing N'Aimez que Moi. In a way, like N'Aimez que Moi, it reminds me of Chanel No.22 (1922): an odd coincidence that they were supposedly created so close together in years?

What surprises me most of all is that in all the years perfumistas have been discussing Caron perfumes in cyberspace, no one has ever mentioned how similar these two are. Perhaps not everyone has actually tried both, or we're all tuning into different aspects of these, but for me, it's hard to ignore how uncanny they are. Powdery sweet floral perfume lovers need to try this one--it's no doubt an old-fashioned scent but oh, what a sweet, well-mannered scent it really is. I have no idea in what context such an innocent-smelling perfume would be used in aforementioned rituals, but it's said to bring good luck. I can't imagine it would bring anything but loveliness into one's life smelling so perfectly nice. Of course, it's very powdery, so if you're not into that type of scent, it could seem smothering and clingy, not as refreshing as it's written in the scent descriptions as being.

(Image: www.parfums-caron.com).