Monday, December 10, 2007

Caron Tabac Blond

Tabac Blond (1919) is one of Caron's driest creations and one with a cult following. I briefly reviewed it in last year's Leather Fantasies post, but here it is again. At first, I get the smell of firecrackers in the street, followed by incense smoke and carnation spice. The leather note reminds me of Molinard Habanita but Tabac Blond is much drier and spicier with an abstract tobacco effect. It's similar to French Can Can or En Avion with the slightly chypre nuance but this is a rosy leather Oriental: heavy and aloof with a touch of vanilla. I'm reminded a bit of Farnesiana and Guerlain Metallica. Tabac Blond is among the most chic of the Caron collection, although I have other personal favorites. Tabac Blond is beautiful but for me, it's a bit rose-focused and dusky, reminding me of Diptyque Eau Lente, only mellower, more down-to-earth. All in all, it's a potent but elegant leather blend.

As the adage goes, they don't make them like this anymore.

Read more of my Caron reviews at these links:
Caron Fleurs de Rocaille
Caron N'Aimez que Moi
Caron Nocturnes
Caron Rose (from "Perfumista's Top 10 Countdown 2006!")

Visit www.parfumscaron.com