Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Private Reserve Snow Rose Perfume Oil


Snow Rose has been my rose obsession night and day ever since I discovered it in this article: A World Apart: The Secret Perfumes Revealed by Donna for Perfume-Smellin' Things. First of all, you must read it to understand where this obscure perfume came from; secondly, you must smell it because it's a beautiful rose soliflore. When I smelled it, I thought of white or light pink roses, favorite roses of mine. Genuine white rose absolute is hard-to-find, which may be why Shiseido White Rose is so costly and why companies like Caswell-Massey no longer produce white rose scents. I believed it could be a Damask rose variety, although it smelled much more potent than the white roses I've smelled. However, Donna says she thinks Snow Rose is based on Musk rose because it came from the Himalayas. I looked this up and sure enough, Musk roses (Moschata) are musk-scented snow white flowers that are parents to the Damask family of roses. I have no idea how antiquated this perfume is, and I can't tell you how excited I am to have a precious sample of this rare perfume. My glass vial holds just a smidgeon of this whitish transparent oil that tends to congeal and crystallize when it's cold (*edited: the texture is thick like this no matter how cool or warm, actually). Just a drop fills the air with so much rose scent, yet the scent is soft, sweet and never overwhelming. I hope to get to Portland, Oregon sometime this year to smell it in person at The Perfume House, the only shop where Snow Rose and other Private Reserve perfumes can be bought.

Daffinger Moritz Michael Masters of the 19th Century
1790 - 1849
Snow Rose
Original in the Albertina, Vienna
Motive Format: 35,0 x 27,0 cm (HxB)
Sheet Format: 35,0 x 27,0 cm (HxB)

(Image Source: www.reisserbilder.at)