Monday, January 14, 2008

Burberry London



I went to Sephora last night and retried Burberry London (2006) and decided I will need at least a small size to wear this winter. When I first smelled it, I was taken aback by how different it was from the original London, and truth be told, I thought it smelled like Welch's Grape Soda on a woodsy, patchouli-blend base. I don't know why I hadn't been brave enough before but trying it on the skin was the wisest thing I could have done. Up close, it's still somewhat brash, like Dior Pure Poison, Addict or Carolina Herrera 212--woodsy and musky, dry and exceptionally huge in its sillage. However, the dry down stage mellowed on me and gave me just enough berries and rose without turning winey, like some rose-berries tend to turn. The notes don't list berries at all--the only listed fruit note is clementine--funny because I still get berries from this, and happily so. In fact, what I loved about the original London was in part the cassis (blackcurrant bud), so this new London follows up with juicy berry-like notes but instead of a warm blanket of amber, the base is modernized with that bold, dry, woody muskiness, perfect for a sexy night out to rock a confident attitude.

If the candied berries and dry, musky woods in the new London weren't your style, try this version. The original Burberry (1996), now referred to as Burberry London Classic, is also being sold at Sephora alongside the new, and it's just as gorgeous a scent as it's always been. This was love at first sniff for me when it launched, even though I only bought a mini and never finished it. I think a little goes a long way with this version, too. It's heavy but soft and ambery with rich florals and cassis: words to describe it would be sweet and plush, warm and lush, serene and comforting but with a sexy edge as well. It's a bombshell perfume that's streamlined--goes well with either a dress or pants and a tailored trench coat. Compared to the new London, it's obviously more classic but it's the kind of retro glamour that wouldn't scare most people away--it still feels new and contemporary, along the same lines as other new-ish classic Floral Orientals such as Hanae Mori Magical Moon, Guerlain L'Instant and Jil Sander No.4.

(Image: beautybay.com, sephora.com)