Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Giorgio Armani - Armani Le Parfum

Armani was the first signature fragrance by Giorgio Armani, launched in 1982. I only have miniatures of Armani (black cap) and the lighter Eau Parfumée version (white cap), but I'm glad I have these because this fragrance is very rare and hard-to-find. I've seen it classified as a Green Chypre which would put it in the same family as Estee Lauder Private Collection, and Aliage which it resembles a whole lot. Still, I am tempted to describe it as a Green Floral in the same family as Chanel No.19 or Deneuve. It certainly has Chypre elements although it's not as distinctively Chypre to me as, say, Givenchy III, or Shiseido Koto which it vaguely resembles in both scent and bottle design. Compared to these, I find Armani rosier and a bit more woody rather than floral or leathery. It has a bold, green and refreshing but woody, herbaceous aroma overall. Armani is a dazzling, gorgeous scent, a classic Armani with a streamlined, modern feel but with all the decadence and quality of a vintage perfume. Still, I prefer Givenchy III because to me, Givenchy III smells more floral. If the Chypre element in Givenchy III is too much for you, Armani is cleaner (lighter, less animalic), although warmer, and just a bit easier to wear.


Notes on www.perfumewarehouse.co.uk:
Top Notes: Aldehyde, Spearmint, Marigold, Bergamot, Galbanum, Pineapple
Heart Notes: Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orchid, Rose, Orris, Tuberose, Cyclamen
Base Notes: Amber, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Tonka, Musk, Cedarwood

Michael Edwards' Classification: Fresh Mossy Woods (green)