Thursday, January 03, 2008

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica

Jan Moran's notes:
Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica by Guerlain (1999 Floral Crisp Rose)
Top Notes: Rose (May Rose or Rose de Mai)
Rosa Magnifica is a rose cornucopia smoothed with violet, narcissus, and pink peppercorn.

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica is based on Rose de Mai, or Rose Maroc/ rose absolute/ centifolia rose. The oil is largely produced in Morocco but France and Egypt also produce it. I don't see Rosa Magnifica on the Guerlain site anymore which leads me to believe it's been discontinued. I still think it's one of the prettiest rose perfumes ever to have been made. It's often described as a spicy rose, but to me, it's a soft and crisp rose scent more so than a spicy one per se. Maybe I'm comparing it to much spicier roses or my nose isn't as sensitive as some others', but I'll agree with Jan Moran when she says the Aqua Allegoria scents are "youthful, simple, and carefree...easy to love--unfettered, yet elegant in their simplicity". Put it this way: it's about as spicy and delicately peppery as Chanel Chance.

I came across an interesting read on Rose de Mai at A Perfumed Pilgrimage. See also Flowers, perfume and the WPC (World Perfumery Conference) at the same blog for some perfume biz inside info.

(Image: aromascenter.com)