Thursday, February 07, 2008

Burberry The Beat


I don't think the scent makes any real reference to a particularly British smell, Rock music or the Beat generation, but I like the black tea note in this new fragrance by Burberry. I bought this one unsniffed, and so far, I'm pretty impressed, particularly with how the scent captures me in the opening, but also how it evolves. Burberry The Beat (2008) was mixed by perfumers Dominique Ropion (Frederic Malle Carnal Flower, Givenchy Amarige), Olivier Polge (Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb) and Beatrice Piquet (Lalique classic). The Beat has a sweet, creamy-sugary tropical-musky vibe underscoring the black tea with citrus (mandarin) accord. It starts off refreshingly sharp and crisp, not totally unlike Brit, but it turns much more beachy-smelling, and very musky but not like Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue powdery-musky, more like Marc Jacobs-Helmut Lang skin musk musky (edited to add: but not nearly as musky and strong, so don't be scared). I imagined Philosophy's tea set might smell sort of like this. I like the opening the best, when the sugared tea and citrus are most apparent. Over time, it gets much sweeter (ambery-woody like Calvin Klein IN2U or Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche), with an almost coconutty scent, making me think of vacationing in Miami with a Long Island Iced Tea in hand (not that I like the drink). Spices triumph in the end, ever so vaguely making me think of spicy ambery scents like Jean Patou Normandie (1935), Guerlain Vol de Nuit (1933) or Red Moscow.

(Edited to add) I wore it out tonight in the cold, and it seemed less spicy-ambery and more creamy-woody, but still sweet, a combination of smooth (a bit like Penhaligon's Artemisia or Cashmere Mist) and fresh (the black tea and light white florals sing out in the sillage). I am loving this!