Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kylie Minogue Darling

I adore Kylie Minogue's 2001 hit song, "Can't Get You Out of My Head". I say this rarely but I even liked the video. Even if this is the only recording I know of hers, Kylie has a special place in my heart because of it. Her perfume, Darling, was advertised as a Chypre in some circles, and even though it was an exclusive launch to places other than the US, I knew I'd have to acquire it via an auction site. My first bottle shipped from Singapore and broke in transit but that was mainly due to improper packaging (it came inside a flimsy cardboard candy box with no bubblewrap). I don't recall where the second one shipped from--either Asia or Australia, maybe Singapore again--but it arrived in peachy fashion. The scent is not so Chypre but more like a Fruity Floral nouveau Chypre in the vein of Miss Dior Cherie, which I've always thought smelled like Victoria's Secret Strawberries and Champagne. Darling has a passionfruit-vanilla type of scent, and although the Chypre element somewhere lends slightly complex character, I find it easy-to-wear and more or less a drugstore quality spritzer, not nearly as well-produced as her hit single. However, it's a sweet and sexy scent, and I completely get why it's a bestseller. I'm glad I have my little 0.5 fl. oz. Go, Kylie!

(Edited to add) I'm really liking this a lot lately--I can smell the Chypre in it much more, like a stronger, sexier Miss Dior Cherie. I also find that drugstore perfumes are of comparable quality to mainstream offerings these days.