Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chloé



I'm reviewing the original Chloé from 1975 in this post because I didn't have much to write about the new Chloé except that it's a simple marine Floral in the vein of Geir Ness Laila and Liz Claiborne Curve to me (the bottle is very pretty, though). If you love heady, sweet, delectable tropical white florals, you might love Chloé. It is quite a bit heavier than the new version, and a different scent altogether. I might compare it to Michael by Michael Kors, Robert Piguet Fracas, Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, Frederic Malle Carnal Flower, Bond Saks Fifth Avenue, Carolina Herrera, Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion, Miller Harris Noix de Tubereuse, Creed Tubereuse Indiana and still maybe a hundred other white florals, but Chloé is unique. I think it has a tiny tinge of an indolic edge to it due to an abundance of jasmine which might be hard to tolerate for some. When I first got a mini of it, I didn't quite understand the scent--I liked it enough but thought it smelled like pencil shavings for some reason. Now, I can tell it's a tuberose blend with other distinctive florals such as narcissus, orange blossom, orris and rose on a sweet, rich base of ambery woods. It's strong, so a tiny bit will create a powerful sillage. Chloé is an intoxicating, gorgeous scent, known to be a favorite of one of my musical inspirations, Olivia Newton-John, so much so that she named her daughter Chloé.

The bottle is a little bizarre to me, but I suppose it's not nearly as freaky as the bottle for Christian Lacroix C'est La Vie.