Friday, March 28, 2008

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Caramel Sunset



I wasn't going to post the pic of the bottle because I really dislike it, but what the hey; it's got a vacationy mood I could use. It's bad enough the bottle is tin; did they need to embellish it with rainbow-colored lines of palm trees? But oh, the scent: If you're a fan as I am of Werther's Original caramel candies from Germany, Caramel Sunset comes close. I wore this coming home from a drizzly day in the city, and I felt happy to smell so good while trekking up and down the subway staircases and waiting around for my ride. Small pleasures go a long way sometimes. It's buttery sweet and scrumptious, with enough coconut vanilla to remind me of the warm, clear blue waters of the beaches of Aruba or The Bahamas (and kind of like the coconut and vanilla incense sticks I used to get at NYC oil shops). What's a little daydream like that--just a little personal satisfaction--worth to you? Another thing: Caramel Sunset lasts forever, like an entire day, even through a shower. The dry down is just a bit ozonic and musky but not enough to deter me from wanting to buy some. It's joy in a bottle to me, and if it's not to your liking, all I can say is it's my vacation, my joy, and as the saying goes: "the world didn't give it, the world can't take it away".

(Edited to add) I should have listened to my instinct that said it's too musky for me; otherwise, it's still a great fragrance!

(Image: sephora.com)