Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

Although I find the musk (I think it's white musk) a bit too powdery and hard to take, I really do like this scent. It's light and fresh, like apples and lemons with a backdrop of soft florals, similar in a way to Creed Spring Flower (and they share elements: apple-citrus on a musky-cedary base) but more sporty, musky as if crossed with Philosophy Amazing Grace. I can see why it's popular, and it's already a new classic. There are quite a few perfumes that smell like Light Blue such as Anna Sui Dolly Girl At the Beach and Dior Addict 2, so you know it's influenced the fragrance scene. If only it didn't remind me so much of detergent, I'd wear it. It's so crisp, clean and likable, except, of course, if you're like me and have an aversion to that type of musk.

I've noticed that many of the newer fragrances are actually less musky than they've been in the last few years. It's a good sign in my book, that other, less bothersome and distracting chemicals are being used to provide the musk base that keeps the fragrance on skin longer.

Why light blue? It may be significant that azzuro (light blue) is the national color of Italy.

Notes on Sephora.com:
Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (2001): Sicilian Citron, Bluebell, Granny Smith Apple, Jasmine Sambac, Bamboo, White Rose, Cedarwood, Amber, Musk.