Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain



A review of this luminous, ethereal beauty is long overdue. L'Instant de Guerlain wasn't love at first sniff for me--in fact, I thought it smelled an awful lot like Dior Addict at first (which I have but rarely wear), and felt I didn't need it. I was wrong; L'Instant on my skin brings out the most beautiful purple flowers: magnolias and lilac-like notes on a sweet base of vanilla, mingling with notes I can't pick out but I know they work in a harmonious but untraditional and unpredictable way. To me, L'Instant is like edible flowers and a drop of honey on the airiest piece of cake, or a modernized Guerlinade, the base for most, if not all, of the classic Guerlain perfumes (but I can't wear Guerlinade by itself for some strange reason--L'Instant, I can wear). What could it have been about L'Instant that smelled to me like Addict? Do you detect any flour-type of note in either one? I do. I think whatever that note is ties them together. They were created back-to-back, Addict in 2002 and L'Instant 2003, perhaps sharing some new ingredients of the time.

I haven't ventured out into the flanker scents, L'Instant Eau de Noel (Iris Millesime), Fleur de Mandarine or Magic, and I'm not sure I ever will. L'Instant, the original, is perfect, and I tend to stick with things I find ideal. Remember--I am the one who likes her vanillas to taste like vanilla; fruits and chocolate only ruin a good Crème Brûlée for me. I wouldn't change a thing about L'Instant--none of its mysterious, sheer and subtle yet substantial, flowery-yet-sensual, elegant-yet-modern, rare, unique quality, nor would I jack it up with accessories. I've finally run out of my 1.7 fl. oz. EDP in a sleek and stunning heavy glass bottle with graduated lavender hues, and I'm hoping the perfume fairy might grant me some more soon.

(Images: pubsparfums.free.fr, perfumecountry.com)