Friday, April 25, 2008

Chanel N°5 - Iris and Woods

I had to revisit No.5 when I saw this ad and got mesmerized by the beautiful shade of pink--what a dress! I'm a total sucker for delicate pale pink chiffon, as feminine to me a ballet tutu. However, as programmed as we are to think of the oh-so-posh pink powder puff when we think of the powdery Aldehydic Floral Chanel No.5, I realize more and more that No.5 is a woody scent. Today, I realized that No.5 is also an iris perfume. Yes, the featured note backed by a patchouli base (and I can smell that patchouli stronger as time goes on, too) is Italian (Florentine) iris which rather overshadows the Grasse jasmine and May rose it's famous for. A side-by-side test with Frederic Malle Iris Poudre has proven to me how similarly dry and woodsy-powdery they are, except I find Iris Poudre spicier. Iris is symbolic this year. Is there anything more timely than the classic Chanel No.5 in that neoclassical bottle right now?

On a side note, I think it must be hard for a perfumista like Nicole Kidman to stick to one signature perfume like a Russian Bolshoi ballerina, so maybe Chanel can cut her some slack when she shows a little love for another scent now and then. We understand what it is to be a perfumista--besides, we know her favorite is No.5 (wink, wink).

Check out my other post on Chanel No.5: Chanel No.5 Revisited: Russian Leather Connection?