Saturday, April 12, 2008

Etro Messe de Minuit

I don't know, people...I can do Comme des Garçons Avignon and even the very musty old house-smelling L'Artisan Parfumeur D'Humeur a Rien, but I can't do Etro Messe de Minuit. L'Artisan Parfumeur Passage d'Enfer (The Gates of Hell) didn't scare me at all (it smells like herbaceous white musk, lighter than it sounds) but Messe de Minuit smells downright sinister to me. Inspired by the Catholic Midnight Mass, Messe de Minuit features notes of bergamot, mandarin, orange, galbanum, cinnamon, myrrh, incense, patchouli, amber, musk, honey. I don't usually post thoughts on perfume that are negative but this fragrance smells like mildew, only sweetened by notes that come across to me not so much like sweet honeyed amber but like crushed and carmelized, syrupy woods, bringing to mind L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu or Tom Ford scents. I'm repelled by this scent and I don't think I'll ever grow into love with it. Curiously enough, a couple of online reviewers have written glowing reviews for Messe de Minuit (it is a bestseller) and preferred it over my beloved, sweetly vanillic Loree Rodkin Gothic II which one reviewer wrote smells of mildew--an interesting perception because for me, it's the other way around, and another salient point here is that Loree Rodkin's creation evokes an Eastern incense while the Etro creation evokes an obviously Catholic one. Could East and West be so diametrically opposed through incense?

(Image: Sweet Diva blog)