Saturday, April 05, 2008

Givenchy Amarige

Givenchy Amarige and I go way back, and I still think it's maddeningly gorgeous even if I don't really wear it anymore. Sometimes I'll return to it for a sniff or a spritz, especially when I'm in the mood for a hypersweet floral. Spring can make me long for such sensations. Amarige (1991), a full-bodied and bold woody white floral with violet top notes, is up there in high-pitched sweetness with Lalique (1992 version, the original one), Etienne Aigner Private Number (1991), Creed Tubereuse Indiana (1980), Christian Lacroix C'est La Vie! (1990), Parfums de Nicolaï Number One (1989), Miller Harris Noix de Tubéreuse (2003), Ormonde Jayne Sampaquita (2004) and many fragrances by Fred Hayman (273, Touch, Hollywood), Gale Hayman (Delicious) and Liz Claiborne (Vivid...incidentally, Liz Claiborne is the parent company of Juicy Couture, the fragrance I call "the new Giorgio").


This hypersweet white floral blend backed by candied, sharp violets and powerful woods to accentuate and deliver the nectar of its lush, sensuous heart is to me a very concentrated and intense, honeysuckle-like sweetness, best worn for a romantic mood, not for the office or whenever you need to present yourself in a clean, polished manner (although I'll admit I've worn it during the day and gotten raves). A little goes a long way with this powerfloral, beloved by many singers I know (including myself, once upon a time) whose bodies are strong, dynamic instruments of producing sound. If you're a lover of white florals (gardenia, tuberose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, tiare, etc) and you want a particularly sexy, confident one, you must try Amarige, the queen of the genre, devastatingly beautiful and meant to attend formal parties such as weddings, bar mitzvahs and all festive occasions.

If the wooded base seems too oppressive, try these sexy white florals with a fresh, green bend and softer bases: Estée Lauder Beautiful (1985), Giorgio Beverly Hills (1981), Perry Ellis (1985), Frédéric Malle Carnal Flower (2005). Still others you may love are Chloé (1975 original by Karl Lagerfeld), Bond Saks Fifth Avenue (2007) and Juicy Couture (2006). You could always go for the classic and try Jean Patou Joy, the exemplary Grasse jasmine-based Floral, a timless icon of beauty since 1930.