Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sampling Day 2

Very few fragrances move me these days. Here are some more I tried this week:

Lalique Le Parfum (new): I think the original version is much nicer. It's a powdery Fruity Floral Oriental, sort of like Creed Love In White and Chanel Allure Sensuelle, maybe a bit like Cartier Delices but faint, with the Love In White note I never cared for (reminds me of Birmane).

Missoni: Tried it again and decided I don't like melon with my chocolate at all.

Roxy: Not bad...not too sweet, candy-powdery, fresh. I liked it at first, but it turned out too aqueous-cool and sporty for me.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer: This was the best of the bunch, spicy powdery and well made. I can't wear it because it smells like Bal a Versailles light, and I don't like Bal a Versailles, but I appreciate the quality of this. Le Maroc is a powdery mess on me--my bad chemistry.

Serge Lutens Bois de Violette: I know I should love it because it's great quality but it smells too harshly woody and sharp to me. If I loved bottom-heavy, aggressive woody scents, I'd wear it, but I think it would make a more stunning room scent.

Serge Lutens Louve: I want to love this, too, but this is a very heavy musk to me, like a cross between Muscs Kublai Khan and Rahat Loukoum. It's powdery, rosy and penetratingly deep; it reminds me of Caswell Massey White Rose but heavier, almost Kiehl's Musk strength.

Yohji Yamamoto: Interesting fragrance but too spicy for me. It smells like the spices jump out at me and poke me up the nose.

Bond Chinatown: Retrying it: It's hard not to like tuberose even with dry, flat, men's cologne-y woods. It smells like Victoria's Secret Secret 33 if anyone remembers it.

Bond Silver Factory: Oh, wait--I like this one, too. It must be incense because it seems I like anything incensey warm and soft, sweet and spicy right now, and this fits the bill. I can't remember it too well, though. Will try again.

Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil: It's very smooth and consistant, like Le De with mango. Imagine Chanel Cristalle but more floral, vegetal and milky all at once. I just don't like it but I understand this is also very well made.

Clinique Simply: It's like the above with cool, aqueous melon. Same perfumer or just the same head?

I don't know why, but I feel like we're reaching the tail end of an era in fragrancespeak. Maybe I'm all smelled out. I may take a break from perfume blogging soon.