Sunday, May 04, 2008

Bond No.9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory


I don't know if I'll ever need this huge bottle (as cool-looking as it is), but I really dig this scent. It's a very dry, almost ashy incense, very similar to Comme des Garçons Avignon, but during the dry down of Silver Factory is a surprisingly sweet violet stage--so sweet, I thought I was wearing Guerlain Insolence for a moment. The sweetness is fleeting--the final dry down is pure smoke. The cedar base isn't too strong in this blend, and I can smell the lighter notes on top well, up until that smoky ending. I don't know what molten silver is supposed to smell like, but thankfully, the scent also doesn't smell too metallic to me, and I doubt there's any real metal filings in here (kinda reminds me of the way Paco Rabanne Calandre was rumored to contain metal filings).

I'd had my doubts about the Bond No.9 line with scent names like Madison Soiree, Nuits de NoHo, Bleecker Street and New Haarlem (what, they couldn't do (to quote Maurice Roucel, the perfumer in a podcast interview) this "DARK!! coffee" for Harlem and had to go the New Amsterdam way? I guess in his mind, he did.), seemingly leaving out vast numbers of areas in NYC where tourists are advised not to go (Coney Island is the only scent name outside of Manhattan that they bothered with), but even with a pretentious name like Silver Factory, I think this incense blend was nicely done (although I think conceptually, they could have used more Eastern incense and not just frankincense and myrrh-type of churchy stuff. Still, I'm reminded of Japanese incense and burning them at a gohonzen). I might have to shell out for a bottle one of these days after all...we'll see how I do with my sample vial first. It's a heavy scent, supposedly in full perfume concentration, and a little goes a long way.

Bond No.9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory (2007)
Notes: wood resin, amber, jasmine, iris, violet, molten silver and cedarwood

Now, a special humorous treat for my fellow New Yorkers (click on pic to enlarge):

White Folks’ Guide to the NYC Subway System by Streeter Seidell, www.streeterseidell.com



Enjoy your weekend!