Sunday, May 18, 2008

Canoe by Dana



I was going nuts trying to recall the powdery scent in my mind when I wore Guerlain Cuir Beluga tonight. I thought of the Andy Tauer desert scent but that wasn't it; I also naturally thought of Habanita, but no; I was thinking of a somewhat far removed yet similarly powdery scent. Lo and behold, I was thinking of Canoe. This vintage drugstore cologne for men by Dana (the maker of Tabu) is actually a nice (I should say decent) Fougere scent born in the 1930s, sort of on the light side which I appreciate, but it's very powdery like this. Finely powdered, but so very dense, it's not so warm and comfy but more of a cool (with a semi-warm base), slightly aromatic-spicy floral powder, typical of scents from the thirties if I think about Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass (1934) or Worth Je Reviens (1932). Cuir Beluga is so much sweeter and spicier than Canoe, and I really don't know why I had Canoe on my mind, except my mind has been on Fougeres and the Tobacco-Leather family all week, which might explain it all. I like that this is a soft men's scent, not at all aggressive or obnoxious. It's just soft and pleasant (even though the powderiness irks me, too--but I don't expect miracles from a drugstore fume). Sorry for the fragmented post; I am tired but very happy after a pleasant evening out. I will now retire to my Canoe-scented dream, all wrapped up in an abstract ferny men's baby powder fog of memories. Drugstore quality aside, I think this is a refined and gentlemanly scent, with a nice and polite disposition. I like it very much, indeed.

Basenotes lists these notes:
Top Notes: Lavender, Clary Sage, Lemon
Middle Notes: Geranium, Carnation, Cedarwood, Patchouli
Base Notes: Vanilla, Tonka, Heliotrope, Oakmoss