Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chanel Antaeus



I love Chanel Antaeus for Men like I love the scent of a horse saddle. I sometimes think the warm, animalic aspect of the leather cologne smells a bit like horses themselves. At first spritz (and one spritz is more than enough), it's very strong and heavy, the epitome of a powercologne for men produced in all its no holds barred '80s glory. It has some boozy floralcy lurking underneath all the leather and woods, and in the end, it turns into a musky, dusty scent, like you've traveled down a dirt road. Of course being Chanel it also smells rather sophisticated, and perhaps like you got caught up in some heavily perfumed woman's arms along the way (she wore Jolie Madame or some other leathery 1950s powerfume). I've smelled Antaeus on Fred on whom it turns into a bit of a dirty, unshowered type of musky smell, combined with that familiar scent of a men's shoe store. Do you remember that beef jerky smell that came to mind when I tested Bulgari Black? It's not vanillic-sweet but it is dry, smoky and savory like that, too. He doesn't wear it at all anymore, and prefers the lighter, citrusy and better-mannered Chanel Pour Monsieur. All in all, Antaeus is not a scent I'd recommend to either a man or a woman to wear to an office because it doesn't smell clean and also because its sillage carries way across a room, but it's kind of regal and gorgeous for after work, in a confident, yet gentlemanly, and slightly rugged way. I was earnest when I told you I love the horse-and-saddle smell. I think Antaeus smells marvelous, and I enjoy testing it on myself...a lot.

The notes according to Basenotes:
Chanel Antaeus (1981)
Top Notes: Clary Sage, Myrtle
Middle Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood
Base Notes: Labdanum, Beeswax Absolute

(Image: www.berden.nl)