Sunday, May 04, 2008

Eau de Cologne Hermès / Eau d'Orange Verte

I was wondering how such a wonderful scent could have been discontinued, but I just learned from some internet research that it was renamed Eau d'Orange Verte in 1997. Well, phew. I only have a mini of the original, and thought I'd never find any more of it. Eau de Cologne Hermès is a straight-up lemony cologne, similar to Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien without the heavier cypress base. This is a mintier, maybe slightly more bitter scent (but they are very similar, and both are light Chypres). I thought the Eau d'Orange Verte I'd tested was actually much sharper and more orangey than this mini, but older scents could be degraded, with top notes missing. It could also be that the original formula contained more natural essences like real citrus oils and jasmine, making it softer, fuller and more beautiful. I'm pretty sure I like the Eau de Cologne better, but the new version isn't too shabby. It's hard to maintain quality in the face of restrictions on naturals that the industry battles. Anyway, Eau de Cologne Hermès / Eau d'Orange Verte is a crisp, lovely classic, perfect after sports, bath, anytime. If you like this scent, you might also love Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien which also smells like it contains high amounts of naturals.

Notes on Now Smell This:
Eau de Cologne Hermès (1979): bergamot, lemon, mandarin, mint, jasmine, orange blossom, patchouli, moss and cedar.



(Image: http://www.imagesdeparfums.fr/)