Friday, May 02, 2008

Giorgio Holiday by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I'd been curious about Giorgio Holiday for as long as I'd seen it online. I'd never actually seen a bottle of it anywhere that I've been where they sell perfumes. I finally had my chance to sample it, so here are my brief thoughts: It's a dry and musky, sweet floral scent, a bit "hot" and aldehydic like Vicky Tiel Sirene (1994) or Bill Blass Amazing (1999) if you're familiar with those. I can almost smell something along the lines of Gale Hayman Delicious (1993) underlying the composition with notes of mimosa, rose and gardenia, except it's set on a dryer sheet musk, a bit fresh-musky like Carolina Herera 212 (1997). Christian Dior Dune (1991) also comes to mind because of the dry woody aroma, except Giorgio Holiday is more floral than woods-focused like Dune. It's a strong scent for me but I do like it--I don't love it, and I still prefer the original Giorgio and subsequent G, but it has a charm of its own. It certainly smells like it belongs in the Giorgio Beverly Hills family of sweetly seductive scents with a full-hearted, soft feminine touch.

The bottle I have here was Made in the Netherlands for those of you who thought American perfumes weren't made overseas (although I'm not sure the scent is sold anywhere but in the USA). Just as Revlon Norell parfum is Made in France, and the Italian designer Laura Biagiotti's fragrances are Made in Germany (Proctor & Gamble), you never know with this global fragrance industry where a scent hails from. Incindentally, Giorgio Beverly Hills was acquired by Proctor & Gamble who also makes Hugo Boss perfumes.

Giorgio Holiday by Giorgio Beverly Hills (1998): lily of the valley, lime blossom, gardenia, mimosa, rose, lavender.

Some notable perfumes born in 1998 include: Ralph Lauren Romance, Davidoff Good Life, Christian Dior Hypnotic Poison, Elizabeth Arden Splendor, Bulgari Black, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan and Rahat Loukoum, Cacharel Noa and Luctor et Emergo People of the Labyrinths.