Thursday, May 15, 2008

Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir

I don't wear Drakkar Noir for Men, but I enjoy it as a scent. Not all leather scents are alike. Like in all of the other fragrance families, there are some I like and some I really can't stand. Some examples of leathers I find pleasant are Caron En Avion, Molinard Habanita, Chanel Antaeus (1981). The ones I really don't like are Ralph Lauren Chaps (1979), Trussardi Donna, Fendi. Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir is among the ones I really like, and I think it's closely related to Chanel Antaeus. I like that I don't smell overwhelming patchouli in it, a real offender in a scent particularly in copious amounts married to jasmine, civet and/or labdanum, an animalic musk base commonly used in Chypre fragrances. Many people say Drakkar Noir is loud, and surely juniper scents carry some sillage (like Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque which I love to wear myself), but most leather Chypres are kind of strong, and must be applied very sparingly (two tiny drops on the neck or chest, gentlemen). Drakkar Noir is one of the fresher, more aromatic leathers for men, although it doesn't go all the way into the Cool Water-fougere sporty realm, either, and has warm, ambery-woody notes, making it luxurious. Thankfully for me, it doesn't have a classic animalic-floral-balsamic dry down but a more modern, clean leather accord overall. I think it's related also to Bulgari Black and the smoky and unique L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!, another one of the drier, more aromatic leathers as opposed to the tacky, raunchy, animalic ones like Chaps (which I think you can gather from these opinionated thoughts that I tend to avoid like the plague).

I've seen Drakkar Noir categorized as an Aromatic Fougère and as a Green Fougère.

Basenotes lists these notes:
Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir (1982)
Top Notes: Lemon, Lavender, Tangerine
Middle Notes: Coriander, Juniper
Base Notes: Patchouli, Oakmoss

(Image: Macys.com)