Thursday, May 15, 2008

Marc Jacobs Daisy

Daisy is a very pretty fragrance and I see why it's popular (the bottle with vinyl flowers is cute, too). Imagine a strawberry note as sweet and candied as a flavored super-shiny lip gloss, the slick oil type that came in roll-ons. Imagine also the sweet fruit note you find in Britney Spears Midnight Fantasy: one part hypersweet and one part succulently fresh, 100% juvenile bliss (actually, I like it and it's not as juvenile as, say, Hannah Montana perfume). Now combine that in your head with the clean and sunny floralcy of Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers and you've got Daisy in a nutshell. It starts with a sharp violet leaf note supporting the aqueous berries and ends on a very floral but dry, almost detergent-like synthetic ozonic floral accord. Maybe it's supposed to evoke the feeling of being 14, lying around half-naked in a summer field (or rolling in the hay, if you will) like their ad campaign suggests. I like it while the super-saccharine sweet violet-strawberries take over, before the somewhat generic flowery dry down stage that could be Bronnley Tulip for all anyone knows. I think it's a very well-composed fragrance and I enjoy it--the inner child in me rejoices when I wear it. I just might get it when my decant runs out.

Do you have ideas about what to wear for the prom yet? Are you looking for a casual weekend fragrance to go with a polka dotted swimsuit? Give Daisy a whirl.

Notes on Sephora.com:
Marc Jacobs Daisy (2007 Floral)
Strawberry, Violet Leaves, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Gardenia, Violet Petals, Jasmine Petals, Musk, Vanilla, White Woods.